test your comments here
Test all your commenty things here. Some things to try:
- flagging for author attention
- threads and tools
Posting here because discord is a terrible place to keep track of things I'll try to update this post with any furthe …
The thread count is off for me (a regular user), but it's not about deleted comments. I don't know what the issue is. …
Rethinking flagging > needs author's attention > This question is off-topic or cannot be reasonably answered in it …
When you first view threads, you get the counts for each, like this: "7 comments" / "1 comment" However, if I expa …
Posting here because discord is a terrible place to keep track of things
I'll try to update this post with any further information
In the interests of keeping this post organized, please do not use the comments here for testing
- Update Ability help pages (currently thread tools require Curate)
Feature / Change Requests
Please discuss these changes in the linked threads
- Ability to cancel a comment
- Change "link" to "copy link"
- Posting a comment adds to the browser history, so when you hit the back button it doesn't return you to the previous page but keeps you on the thread.
- Show who deleted or archived a thread
As of ff1efcd5
- Thread count is wrong
- Some archived threads are not visible to normal users
As of 97cdf0f1
- add title text for archived/deleted threads in the summary view under the post
- Ability to collapse preview of thread
- Bump threads on new comment (Sort by last comment rather than number of comments)
- 500 error on https://a.dev.codidact.org/mod/comments, the mod "list all comments" page
- In ping suggestions, clicking on the ID
<span>instead of the name inserts
- Ping suggestions don't close when the current text becomes invalid (too short/space etc)
- Deleted threads are not listed under the post, even for Curators
- Using "Disable Comments" > "Purge all comments" prevents un-deletion of the threads deleted.
- Unable to view comments on your own post that has been deleted. You can see the post and the threads under the post, but you are unable to preview or open the threads.
As of 38f3e13f
- Change "show N comment threads" to "show all N comment threads" or "show (N-shown) more comment threads". When I clicked on "show 9" I expected to see 9 more things show up. (done)
- Show X threads does not take into account deleted threads that you can see (fixed)
- Convert to comments doesn't work for Curators, even though it's on the tools list for them. (fixed)
As of 5edbdca9
- Starting a thread with an initial comment with less than 15 characters creates the comment thread but doesn't create a comment in that thread, leading to a zero-length thread that says it has one comment for some reason. (fixed)
- Unable to see own deleted comments. (by-design)
- Can see threads even without permission to see post. (fixed)
- Users can read threads of deleted posts. (There is a notice where the reply would be saying "Comments are disabled on deleted posts.")
- Restrictions on categories/posts do not carry over to threads - all users can see and post in threads regardless on if they can access the post
- follow/unfollow doesn't work for non-moderators. (fixed)
- 500 server error when attempting to create a new thread (fixed)
- Comment > Edit > Discard Edit removes comment from view (fixed)
- Unable to view comments when not signed in. You can see the post and the threads under the post, but you are unable to preview or open the threads. (should be fixed)
- If the 'Post Feedback' thread is deleted, new flags from anybody add comments to the deleted thread. In this deleted (example), a thread with two comments was deleted by a mod, and then two users (one mod and one not) used the "needs author attention" flag, adding new comments to the deleted thread where the author is unlikely to see them. (Monica) (fixed)
- "Convert to comment" tool isn't implemented, apparently (it just deletes the post) (fixed)
- "Disable Comments" > "Purge all comments" deletes the comments in threads instead of the threads themselves. (fixed)
- Threads purged via this method do not update their comment count, they show how many comments there were before deletion (fixed)
- Using the "author attention" flag to leave a comment generates a "mod will look at your flag" message, which is not true (not really a flag). If we keep this flag we should change that messaging. Alternatively, maybe we should remove the flag path and tell people to just leave comments. (We want something like this for close votes, but that's different.) (Monica) (fixed)
- Deleted threads are not listed under the post, even for moderators (fixed)
4 comment threads
The thread count is off for me (a regular user), but it's not about deleted comments. I don't know what the issue is.
On this question:
But when I expand it I see this:
That's ten threads, and even if it's failing to count the archived one for some reason, that would be 9 not 8.
0 comment threads
needs author's attention
This question is off-topic or cannot be reasonably answered in its current form and needs revision by its author.
This flag will be added as a comment to this post's feedback thread.
Using this flag creates, or adds to, a thread named Post Feedback. The idea was to collect all the direct "please clarify X" etc feedback in one place, separate from the discussions and tangents that tend to break out in comments.
Someone in chat asked if that trick really works -- will people do that? It's a fair question.
I think this idea originally came from a mockup for close votes, where if you choose this close reason you're prompted for an optional comment that turns into special feedback for the author. The idea is that the author would see some sort of annotation right there on the question about potential closure, with the comment(s) or a link. And similarly for duplicates. I think for those cases, where some action against the question is pending, this makes sense.
For comments that aren't attached to close/dupe votes, though, I'm not sure it makes sense to go through flagging. What would happen if we removed this flag reason entirely, so people who want to leave feedback need to leave comments directly?
0 comment threads
When you first view threads, you get the counts for each, like this:
However, if I expand the first one, I get the first five comments and a link but I lose the total count:
Could we include either the "7 comments" that was originally there or "2 more comments" at the bottom, or maybe both?
9 comment threads